Monday, July 19, 2010

Nizami Ganjavi...

There are things, events and people too grand for just a post...to talk about them in detail one would need to do a thorough scientific work...

This post is devoted to Nizami Ganjavi...one of grand figures of literature...Nizami Ganjavi belonged to XII century when people had no mobiles to communicate, computers to search for information and airplanes to travel...I can picture Nizami Ganjavi sitting calmly in his house in Ganja and creating his jewels one by one...no rush, no haste, no interruption...just him and his talent, wisdom and poetry...what a blessing...

Nizami Ganjavi is best known for his "Khamsa", five long poems, five enduring masterpieces...: "The Storehouse of Mysteries", "Khosrow and Shirin", "Leyli and Majnun", "The Book of Alexander" and "The Seven Beauties". I won't talk about these works here...I think one should "talk" about these works creatively, poetically, for instance creating ballets based on these stories as Qara Qarayev did creating his ballet "The Seven Beauties"...I would just say that if Europeans remember Romeo and Juliet story of Shakespeare seeing someone deeply, truly and madly in love...then Azeris and many other people in the East would remember Leyli and Majnun written by Nizami Ganjavi...

Six years ago my husband and I met a professor in British Library who was writing a book about Nizami and his works. When I noticed her book I exclaimed with excitement: "oh, I come from the same country as Nizami..."...and she said "well, he wrote in Persian so for us he is a Persian poet"...I started to tell that he was born and comes from the city in Azerbaijan, Ganja...that he was/is Ganjavi etc, etc...but didn't seem to convince her very much...did I have to...I don't know...I am free to think that he was Azeri :)...people like Nizami belong to the whole universe anyway...all we can do is read and enjoy his poetry and share the pride...
Be well :)

Artistic portrayal of Nizami Ganjavi on a carpet...
Nizami Ganjavi monument in Baku...created by sculptor Fuad Abdurahmanov (who was originally from Sheki) in 1949.
Bahram Gur, sculptural fountain, considered as first one in Baku is devoted to epic hero of Nizami Ganjavi's "The Seven Beauties". Created by sculptors Albert Mustafayev, Qorxmaz Sucaddinov and Aslan Rustamov (my father in law) in 1960s.
Share

No comments: