Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Kur River

Two biggest rivers that go through Azerbaijan are Kur and Araz. Strange/bad thing that happened during Soviet times is that all Azeri words were translated first into Russian and then further to other languages. This resulted in total mispronouncement (if I may say) of Azeri words. For example in Azeri we call capital of Azerbaijan Bakı, in Russian it is called Baku and now in all languages the city is called Baku…the same is true for river Kur. We pronounce it Kur, in Russian it is pronounced Kura, in English and other languages I am not sure…

These are pictures that my husband Teymur took for me in Zardab region of Azerbaijan which he recently visited. Zardab is located in so called “aran” region of Azerbaijan (means lowland in Azerbaijani), is located in centre of the country and Kur River passes right through it. As you see I have enlisted all my family members in my blogging so that I have enough pictures to share with you :)

Hope you enjoy! :)




Share

3 comments:

Dave B. said...

Simply beautiful views of the river.

ARMD said...

Nice pics......

do mail me some pics of Azerbaijan
especially Baku and all....

we are regularly moving cargoes to Azerbaijan from Dubai

Jane Hards Photography said...

Lovely peaceful images.