Friday, October 17, 2008

Unknown Azerbaijan…Mereze…

Today I am starting a series of posts titled Unknown Azerbaijan…

First post is devoted to the place called Mereze…this is one of the first locations that one passes when leaving Baku and going towards north-west of Azerbaijan.

I need to mention right away that during my last trip to regions I had an amazing guide, Mr Oktay Rzayev about whom I hope to write separately. Thanks to him the trip turned into a miracle of discoveries, knowledge and amusement. Thank you, Oktay muellim (muellim is how we address teachers, scholars and in general older male people in Azerbaijan to show respect).
The thing is that Mereze is the place that I would drive by each time going to Sheki and drive by swiftly because its nature is deserted and nude comparing to green landscapes of Shamakhi (Şamaxı) and other…I was assuming wrongly that there was nothing interesting in Mereze…as we all know assumptions often take place when there is lack of knowledge…my another wrong assumption was that Mereze is named after Mereze gypsies…I forgot to think that we call “merez” - people that do not feel very well and here! with guidance of Oktay muellim we drive inside Mereze and beautiful landscape together with holy place where people got cured from bronchial and alike diseases opens up (this is where the name Mereze takes its roots) …and the first thought that stroke me was how wrong I was to think that Mereze was boring…without zest…wrong, wrong assumptions that happen now and then…
Hope you enjoy the photos and those of you looking for adventures and discoveries please don’t rush to drive by Mereze next time…



Share

1 comment:

Jane Hards Photography said...

I had no idea it was so beautiful.