Monday, November 02, 2009

Traditions...hospitality...

Excuses, excuses, excuses...I won't start counting mine for not writing for so long lately...

Today I want to write about traditions and a little bit about hospitality...

Tradition in Sheki requires :) whenever there are guests in the household housewife or anyone appropriate such as grown up girls in the house should arrange the shoes of visitors/guests in pairs...shoes should look "outside" so that it is easier for guests to put them on when they are leaving the house. As I can explain this tradition to myself this makes the entrance look tidier and additional comfort for guests is ensured (this is one of the pillars of hospitality in Azerbaijan - guests must be made as comfortable as possible. Personally I think that this started to work less in modern life, as people i.e. guests started to abuse concept of hospitality, but this is another subject :) Households are bigger in the regions including Sheki comparing to capital. Therefore when one has at least one family visiting, you would have numerous shoes at the entrance. Tradition also says that people should take off shoes when entering the house, since home is home and outside is outside. I agree with this for hygienic reasons and not only but again nowadays when one is dressed up and high heels are a part of this "ensemble", taking off shoes ruins this all :)) Not taking off shoes is more and more common for special events in Baku and sometimes in Sheki, but generally if you are just visiting then shoes are taken off and slippers are offered instead.
So...when I visit Sheki and see how carefully traditions like this are observed it gives me hope that they would be passed on to younger generations. Personally I like this very tradition and try to preserve it in our household...although again flexibility is a must :)

Below are photos of examples of "pairing the guests shoes concept" in practice :) in Sheki...

Share

4 comments:

farida said...

Ayten, glad to see you back blogging. I like this tradition a lot, although I would prefer that the guests themselves pair and arrange their shows after they take them off, for the purpose of hygiene:) I personally do it myself when I take mine off:) But I still follow the tradition of the host doing it whenever I have to in Azerbaijan:) Great read, as usual.

PS: And where on earth is your piti information:)

farida said...

I meant to say shoes now shows in my previous post:)

Glennis said...

Nice to see the pretty shoes all lined up in pairs. So nice and tidy.

Sakhavat said...

supeeeer